Less stress at the dentist
Going to the dentist can cause a lot of stress and anxiety in our patients. At Kilby Family Dentistry, we want you to feel like family and comfortable. Here are some tips on how to manage your stress about the dentist:
- Reviews. Reviews are a key part in how people recommend good dental offices. Don’t be afraid to do your research on any dental office you are looking at. Seeing reviews from different types of people can help you choose the best dentist for you and your family.
- Share your anxiety. Your dentist knows that most people are scared of those basic checkups. Sharing your fears helps the team choose the best treatment plan for you and helps you feel ultimately more comfortable.
- Listen to music. Most dental offices are not opposed to allowing patients to listen to music during a standard procedure. If the sound of drilling is what heightens your stress, contact your dentist and ask if you can listen to music. This will not only drown out that stressful drilling noise but also help you relax while you listen to your favorite artist.
- Hand Signals. Communication is key while at the dentist’s, but it’s not that easy when there is something in your mouth. Establish a hand signal with your dentist and his or her team when treatment is painful or to stop the procedure in general.
- Low-stress times, exist. An appointment time can make or break your feelings about the dentist. Whether it’s a routine cleaning or a sealant, watching others around you have a worried look on their face can cause you to overthink. Choosing an appointment time that will have fewer patients or have you feeling less rushed can be beneficial in calming the anxieties you have walking through the door.